Forms of hosting services
A hosting service involves stockpiling and/or sharing certain web content on a web hosting server handled by a web hosting supplier. There are different categories of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's take a glimpse at these. In this way, you can pick what you need, based on whether you'd like to have a weblog, mailbox accounts, or to share files with buddies and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution made available by some vendors, which enables you to share huge files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting services often include adverts next to the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a specific amount of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file hosting plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a totally fallacious explanation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would share the workload between different hosts of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending different hosting services (email, disk storage, stats, DNS, databases, Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is only a sort of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; certain providers provide a hosting solution for pictures exclusively. This hosting brand is good if you want to share a big quantity of pics with mates or colleagues since the solution is commonly free of charge. You will get a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution dedicated to tackling your email box accounts. Some corporations provide web site hosting solutions for sites, but do not supply an e-mail hosting service. If you would like to have an email address with your domain name but do not desire to own a web site, then the email hosting solution is what you require. You can open e-mail address accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a given video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video generates a particular amount of CPU load, so with several videos and several hundred website visitors, you may have difficulty with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video file will allow you to manage as many videos as you desire without worrying about system resources.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to keep a web site. To some degree, it involves all of the aforesaid hosting categories since, along with your web sites, you can also host pics and files, you can keep databases and email mailbox accounts, upload video files, and so on. At nextlevelwebhost, for example, you can have a look at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting solutions that allow you to have all of the aforesaid services in one place. There may be restrictions depending on the kind of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your webspace hosting account may be better or worse compared with the typical e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are planned for specific web content exclusively.